Conduct a Diagnostic Review of Deoxyribonucleic Acid (DNA) Instrumentation in India
The client was involved in developing advanced molecular diagnostic products that would bring fast, accurate and low cost diagnostics to a range of critical medical and scientific applications. The company was developing a very low cost instrument for real time polymerase chain reactions (PCR). It believed that India would be one of the countries with real market potential. Thus, the top management requested UC to diagnose the need for DNA instrumentation in India.
To diagnose the need for DNA instrumentation in the Indian market, UC assessed the attractiveness of India as a market for DNA amplification instruments and answered the following key questions:
- What is the current market size for real-time/quantitative PCR and the likely growth over the next 5 years?
- What is the current and future the mix of end-users (researchers in hospital/ academic labs) who would be using real time PCR vis-vis standard PCR?
- How will developments like nucleic acid testing drive the demand for reverse transmission (RT)-PCRs?
- What role can low-cost RT-PCRs play in accelerating the research agenda in India?
- What are the key drivers that influence the purchasing pattern?
- Who are the main players in the market and how will the competitive landscape evolve moving forward?
- If attractive, how can the client enter the Indian market?
The engagement concluded that India was an attractive market for low-cost RT PCRs, which the client intended to launch.It further considered UC’s recommendations and contemplated preparing a business plan for the Indian market.