Conducting Market Research and Identifying Addressable Opportunities for a Company Involved in Multiple Businesses
Background and Challenge
The client is a subsidiary of a large global company that has businesses in design, manufacturing, marketing, and industrial and consumer products. The larger company and the industrial technologies division of the client is engaged in providing asset protection, monitoring, information products/ system across the power value chain (generation, transmission and distribution). The client requested UC to conduct a market assessment and to identify an addressable opportunity for the relevant products/ system.
Approach and Recommendations
UC studied the market and found addressable opportunities after doing the following research:
- Conducted detailed interviews across the power value chain to arrive at total market and addressable market
- Analysed value chain dynamics and the role of entities in the value chain (original equipment manufacturers, utilities, turnkey contractors, engineering consultants, system integrators)
- Mapped purchasing processes of different entities like original equipment manufacturers (OEMs), engineering, procurement and construction (EPC), utilities etc. for the above products/ system, and identified who the key influencers are and what their key purchasing criteria are
- Identified key market trends shaping the space and identified the products for the future
- Analysed the current competitive landscape and how will this evolve moving forward
- Identified the optimal way for reaching the market for a different set of products
The client obtained a realistic assessment on market which can be addressed currently, and a list of products that can be looked into as a future opportunity.