Creating a Customer Focused Organisation Structure for an Auto and Industrial Rubber Component Manufacturer
Our client was engaged in the manufacturing of automotive and industrial rubber components largely for OEMs and after-market clients. The company had been growing at greater than 30% per annum over five years and the top management believed that the growth rate would continue for the next few years. The top management engaged UC to create a customer focused organisation structure in view of issues such as:
- Top management’s involvement in day-to-day operations
- Absence of a customer focused organisation / key account focus, resulting in lack of professionalism when dealing with customers
- They also requested UC to assist them in defining the job profiles and job descriptions for the proposed structure
UC developed a customer-focused organisation structure undertaking following steps:
- Conducted interviews with top management to understand the overall corporate agenda
- Conducted one-on-one discussions with a large number of people in the organisation (except unionised staff) to understand issues regarding reporting relationships, leadership, staffing, capabilities, customer issues and other organisation related issues
- Conducted discussions with key customers of the client to understand their perspective on the company and issues faced by them
- Summarised the issues and arrived at a framework of recommendations to resolve the same. Also assessed and recommended whether a single-point or a multi-point customer interaction will be required in the client’s organisation
- Defined the organisation structure for the company to make it a customer focused organisation. This was followed by detailing of profiles and job descriptions
- Considered the key constraints of the client in achieving the proposed organisation structure and defined a migration plan comprising of an immediate and intermediate organisation structure
- Assisted the top management in communicating the proposed organisation structure to key employees.
The client received a framework of recommendations to solve the looming issues and assistance in relaying the outlined organisation structure to employees.