Review of the Customer Service Processes of an Asset Management Company
Background and Challenge
The client, an asset management company had assets under management (AUM) of Rs.16,219 crores, as of April 30, 2004 under its 20 funds, making it the third largest mutual fund house in India.The company had a customer relationship management (CRM) system. Nine locations were equipped to deal with the system, but the other locations were not yet connected. The company felt the pressure to move fast and to provide its customers with superior customer service. The company intended to professionalise their operations with an emphasis on customer service process. The top management at the company discussed the need to standardise and document customer service process and to define functionalityrequirements for customer service process and the necessary documents to support current information systems.
Approach and Recommendations
To review the customer service process and to layout functionality requirements for processes, UC adopted the following approach:
- Designed process manuals of customer service and marketing functions
- Conducted interviews of key personnel in the organisation across various locations to understand the as-is processes and its interface with other departments
- Define a Customer Service and Marketing Process Framework including variations to the process.
- The re-designed process manuals included the following:
1) Brief description of the process
2) Workflow with roles & responsibilities for each process/ sub-process/ activity
3) Variants to the process
4) Interfaces of Customer Service with other departments
5) A “Good Practices to Follow” section based on best practices
6) Screen shots of the processes from the system
UC formulated a standard of customer service processes for the company to follow. We also laid out functionality requirements for customer service processes and we listed the necessary documents to support current information systems.