Defining a Growth Strategy for a Leading Automotive Castings Company
The client belonged to one of the largest industrial houses in India which had diversified into manufacturing castings and had two manufacturing plants located in Maharashtra. The client was evaluating opportunities for growth in the castings space and requested assistance from UC in defining a growth strategy in the casting space considering a number of aspects. The opportunity assessment had to be done across metal types, application industries and weight categories, keeping in mind the future evolution / emerging trends of the global foundry business over the next 5-10 years. The market opportunities identified had to be niche, with good future demand prospects and had to substantially add to the bottom line. The focus had to be on identifying opportunities based on domestic demand supply dynamics and then on determining the potential for the selected product categories for exports.
UC defined a growth strategy in the casting space using the following approach:
- Conducted a strength and capability evaluation by assessing current internal capabilities, target geographies and application industry focus, and key strengths and weaknesses
- Conducted a market landscape of the castings industry and based on a capability assessment and a market overview, UC prioritised application segments for further in-depth analysis
- For the prioritised application segments, we conducted a market and customer analysis
- An analysis of the competitive dynamics was carried out by the segmentation of players into strategic groups. An assessment of capabilities, competitive advantages, and entry barriers for players in India, as well as a review of business models of key casting manufacturers and recent strategic initiatives of casting manufacturers was undertaken
- Finally a thorough opportunity assessment and strategy definition for the client was conducted.
The client received a strategic roadmap for leveraging existing capabilities by examining adjacencies and value chain opportunities.