Developing the Growth Strategy for the Ophthalmic Business in India
The client, an international company was into specialty glass and ceramics, making components for consumer electronics, mobile emissions control, telecommunications and life sciences. The Indian business of its ophthalmic division was observing slow growth in the recent years and it requested UC to develop a strategy to accelerate the same.
To develop the growth strategy for the client, UC adopted the following approach:
- Conducted secondary research and primary research with customers, retailers, wholesalers, importers, distributors, and labs to understand the ophthalmic market in India in terms of the following -
- Customer demand in terms of material used for lenses
- Substitution of glass with plastic
- Value chain profit pool changes
- Competitive actions
- Sub-segment level trends
- Designed the future growth path and product focus based on the current market trends and the likely future
- Recommended strategic initiatives to be taken for growth. These were divided into resource light short term initiatives and resource intensive long term initiatives.
The client obtained a perspective on the market landscape and trends. It was provided with a clear strategy and initiatives required to accelerate its growth and to address the future market opportunity.