Identifying Growth Opportunities in the Logistics Space, for a Premier Business House in India
The client, was part of a large conglomerate focused predominantly on the liner agency business and offered other logistics services. The client requested UC to identify the growth opportunities in the logistics space.
To study the growth opportunities, UC adopted the following approach:
- Formulated a logistics framework (cargo type vis-a-vis value chain) to landscape the logistics space
- Identified distinct business segments based on the framework
- Defined a filtration mechanism using parameters like market size, margins, competitive intensity etc. to identify attractive and unattractive business segments
- Conducted detailed primary research to profile, validate and triangulate findings on business segments
- Conducted a capability assessment of the client and determined strengths that can be leveraged.
The client received a clear road map indicating which business segments to focus on and obtained detailed profiles of business segments across the logistics landscape. The growth opportunities for the client, with concrete recommendations on the cargo types, long term prospects and opportunities that require an alliance/ acquisition was also clearly defined by UC.