Aligning the Organisation with its Strategy for a Clutch Manufacturer
The client was engaged in the manufacturing and assembly of automotive clutches for the heavy and commercial vehicle segment. They had been growing at greater than 40% in the last couple of years and top management believed that the growth rate would continue to remain for next 4-5 years. The company has its manufacturing facility at Baroda and was planning to put up two more plants around Mumbai. The office in Mumbai managed the purchase of raw materials, sales and product design. The top management felt that the current organisation structure, staffing levels and evaluation systems would not support the growth that they perceive in future.
The client requested UC to assist them in defining the following:
- Organisation Structure
- Job Profiles, Job Descriptions and Indicative KPIs
- Performance Evaluation System
UC laid out a strategy plan for processes for the organisation in the following manner:
- Conducted interviews with top management to understand the overall corporate agenda
- Conducted one-on-one interviews with a large number of people in the organisation (except unionised staff) to understand issues regarding reporting relationships, leadership, staffing, capabilities and other organisation related issues
- Summarised the issues and arrived at a framework of recommendations to resolve them
- Defined the organisation structure for the head office and the plant. This was followed by the detailing of profiles, job descriptions and key performance indicators
- Benchmarked other organisations to understand their performance evaluation system and outlined key lessons for our client
- Defined a performance evaluation system outlining the philosophy, evaluation system along with guidelines for administering the same
- Outlined a plan to implement recommendations.
The client received a complete strategy plan for the organisation structure, including other suggestions, along with guidelines for implementing them.