Conducting Market Research for a European Coffee Machine Manufacturer
The client, a consulting firm, outsourced its work to UC for a European manufacturer of automatic bean cup coffee machines for home and corporate use. With a view to understand the Indian market for bean cup machines, the client issued a mandate to UC to answer specific questions across various customer segments for the following machines:
- Machines for the home/ corporate segment
- Machines used by the HORECA segment
With this base information, the client sought UC’s assistance to conduct market research across tier 1 cities in India with the following primary objectives:
- Sales and distribution of all types of coffee machines and beans
- Consumption of coffee beverage
- Consumer psychology and emerging trends.
UC conducted the market research in the following manner:
- Identified Indian tier 1 cities with emphasis on cities with high coffee consumption based on proliferation of two of India’s most ubiquitous coffee chains
- Carried out in-depth market research across these cities to -
- Identify types and brands of coffee machines and coffee beans in the market across the customer segments defined
- Understand supplying/ distribution channels and the retail prices for these machines and coffee beans
- Market size of these machines/ beans and competition situation
- Learn the price range of beverage sold across different outlets in the HORECA segment along with a general idea of overall consumption in cups of coffee at these outlets
- Determine market openness for foreign companies and available entry options along with relevant policy issues
- Understand the existing arrangement of after – sales – service
- Compute cost of importation along with method of importation
- Identify commonly practiced marketing activities
- Compute overall consumption of coffee and understood general consumer psychology with assistance from the Indian coffee board.
UC delivered the specific market research results to the client.