Defining a Marketing Strategy for a Large Manufacturing Group Based in East Africa
Background and Challenge
The client, a large manufacturing group based in East Africa wanted to build a robust marketing and brand strategy that would allow it to:
- Penetrate the market more effectively
- Combat increasing competition from cheaper imports
- Capture customer mind share
- Consider the possibility of entry in the U.S. and other East African market places
Thus, it turned to UC to develop a marketing and brand strategy for the same.
Approach and Recommendations
To develop the marketing and brand strategy of the company, UC adopted the following approach:
- Understood the top management vision about the brand they wanted to build
- Conducted background research
- Examined the current set-up in the following areas:
1) Marketing Strategy
2) Distribution Strategy
3) Organisation Design
4) Technology Strategy
- Summarised the gaps in the demand chain related to product, pricing, promotion, distribution, channel management, branding, people and marketing information systems
- Identified recommendations/corrective measures to be taken in each area
- Prepared a detailed implementation plan.
The client received a detailed implementation plan to penetrate its market more effectively. The gaps in the demand chain were also well-defined, such that the client could capture a better customer share.