UC has been formulating and executing strategies for organisations and their senior executives for the past 20 years. We develop strategies for the clients by defining a strategic direction for the organisation. We design blueprints and apply UC thinking and experience to obtain an organisation's business goals. Our experience within each industry and the deep execution expertise also enables us to develop strategies that create measurable, long-term value for organisations. We provide organisations with comprehensive market and customer insights to be able to execute their growth strategies successfully. This can range from an incremental product enhancement to capitalise on a market opportunity, to a transformational shift in the company's direction.
- With the ever increasing competition for a share of the customers wallets, developing the right corporate strategy is crucial for the success of products. UC works closely with clients to help align the product with the right customer segment. We provide analysis and perspective on the delicate balance that companies need to maintain between finding the profitable niche segments and addressing the high volume mass market. Using our industry knowledge, we are able to highlight the addressable market for existing and new products. We also provide effective go-to-market strategies that are easy to execute and provide competitive advantage to our clients. We provide product / customer strategies in industries such as ophthalmic lenses, footwear, medical equipment, cables and many others
- Created individual product strategies for four products for one of the largest producers and distributors of fresh yeast, bakery ingredients, flavors and seasoning in India. We conducted extensive analysis to provide the client a clear view of the market size of key segments their products served and growth potential for each, and key success factors and competitive landscape across segments
- Created a go-to-market strategy for a leading global laminate player in the High Pressure Laminates (HPL) market. We created summary snapshots for individual product segments and identified salient macro trends and drivers likely to impact them, assessed customer segments, and developed a go-to-market strategy for high priority segments based on four key elements of product, price, promotion and placement.
- One of the key concerns of top management across industries is the quality of implementation of strategic initiatives. There is often a large implementation yield loss due to three critical factors - failure to translate the strategy into action, failure to adapt the strategy and failure to sustain change
- We help our clients drive business transformation by converting strategic thought into action through efficient program management. A Traffic Light System is used to program manage strategy work streams and track strategic initiatives, with each project assigned a status based on its level of completion. Projects are subject to intense review cycles to monitor progress and highlight any deviations. By ensuring regular client involvement,UC is able to effectively assist clients execute the strategic initiatives
- UC created a project management system for a film distribution company by studying future project plans, and creating a project management template that included detailed tasks, timelines and responsibilities, and conducted a training program for the project team to manage the template
- Defined a blueprint of systems, procedures and organisational arrangements for a software company by creating standard operating procedures for managing and executing projects, streamlined and documented the project management systems and defined the key milestones for project execution, and developed templates for various marketing, execution and administrative functions
- Undertook a branch rollout for an interior infrastructure products manufacturing company by defining a pre-implementation requisite list (consisting of organisation structure, IT systems, data collection, training and forms) and an implementation work plan, and launching the implementation and change management process by conducting workshops at the branches.
- The search for growth and the need to complement capabilities often results in organisations seeking to work with partners around the world. Working with the right partner, however, is critical for success. We screen and select potential targets for you and assess the strategic and operational fit between both entities, prior to the transaction
- We help organisations to clearly establish the drivers, objectives and outcomes of a robust partnering strategy. We research the market for interested partners, seek expressions of interest and assist in the shortlisting of 2 - 3 ideal partners, based on clearly defined selection criteria
- For example, UC has provided Merger and Acquisition assistance for a European boiler manufacturer to find a suitable sourcing partner from India by developing a screening criterion - product range fit, quality fit, critical size fit and strategic fit. We also shortlisted companies based on stand-alone attractiveness and ease of accessibility
- Assisted a publisher of food guides in assessing their current alliance partner and selecting a new alliance partner by determining a new alliance was needed, identifying the best possible exit option from the existing alliance, and initiating talks with possible alliance partners
- Undertook a partner selection study for early stage drug discovery and development processes for a pharmaceutical company by developing detailed profiles of potential Contract Research Organisations (CRO) to tie up with, and identifying the top three CROs who could support the client with their fast follower strategies.
- We conduct strategic diligence for private equity firms and for clients considering strategic partnerships, acquisitions, mergers, or investments as an avenue to growth. We help clients validate the investment hypothesis by clearly articulating the opportunity, expected returns and build an independent and objective view of the proposed investment. This is often supported by a valuation exercise
- Conducted a strategic diligence of potential partners in the sugar industry for an international agro commodities company, mapping the sugarcane acreage, sugarcane production, average recoveries, days of crushing, number of sugar mills, soil composition, rainfall, irrigation facilities and competitive dynamics of potential acquisition targets
- Conducted a strategic diligence for an engineering company that was considering acquiring a privately held company that was into cooling tower components and water and wastewater treatment equipment. UC provided recommendations to the client with details of the synergies, risk and return from acquiring the target company
- Undertook a strategic diligence of a broking company for a private equity client by conducting an assessment of the target company vs. the competitors in the market on various parameters such as financial/ operational assessment, top management capabilities and future evolution plans, and arriving at a Go/ No Go decision based on the returns achievable.
- UC has experience across a variety of horizontals and verticals that help senior executives to run their sales operations and execute their channel management plans. We assist clients to design channel strategies, provide customer segmentation and develop market projects to optimise channel programs. We also provide strategic diagnostic reviews of realigning sales organisations or designing a store layout which requires sales and channel management expertise. We help clients to change their organisation design and implement compensation strategies and incentive programs to encourage the level of performance of each employee.
- Helped one of the largest mutual fund houses in India with finding, winning and retaining their channel partners by designing the process manuals for the sales & distribution function, for the sales management process, for managing channel partners and investor relations
- Highlighted the perception of a ceramics tile manufacturer with its dealers and sub dealers by conducting a pilot study with the dealers and sub dealers to determine aspects of the company\'s policies and processes that impact dealers, and compare that with those of competitors\', understand the dealer\'s perspective on importance of the brand name in influencing consumer\'s buying, and the perception of the company/ brand competition
- Designed a marketing and distribution strategy for a polyester (solar, decorative & safety) films manufacturing company with a focus on leveraging their existing distribution channel comprising of distributors, showrooms and dealers by creating dealer programs and distribution structures.
- Across industries in India, pricing has become an increasingly complex decision, if one were to earn maximum value from the products and services one sells. Our work in this area has helped several clients manage their pricing more intelligently and effectively than practiced prior to our intervention, resulting in a substantial addition to profit pools
- Pricing in industrial goods has witnessed pressures from customers given that the customers unwillingness to pay for a price increase ranges only from being reluctant to being open to a marginal increase in the prices of the goods they buy, regardless of the relationship they enjoy with customers and quality of the goods they buy. This is at a trade off with the increasing cost pressures, especially in basic industrial goods eroding the margins of the suppliers. Such challenges are met by exercising discipline in identifying where the value lies in the eyes of its customers and finding the maximum threshold levels of prices they will be willing to pay. We have built in rigor in our methodology to help clients manage these decisions. Our on-the-ground interviews with participants in the value chain builds into pricing the high probability of its success
- Conducted an organisation review for a plastic fittings and other injection manufacturing company, as a part of which UC developed a pricing model to enable the top management to price its products appropriately.
- UC assesses drivers for sales force productivity, opportunities for sales force collaboration between divisions and the impact of sales force allocations of merged entities. We help our clients realign their sales force with market segments and emerging trends in their industry. We help our clients to build a long term sales force capability for them to withstand pressure and competition in the emerging market
- In recent sales force management engagements, UC has successfully assisted a leading plywood manufacturing company in improving its sales organisation\'s effectiveness by aligning the sales incentives with the company\'s strategic goals and reorganising the sales team to start working as a cohesive unit
- UC redesigned the sales and service operations for a telecom company by consolidating dealers based on their capabilities and the demand, setting up remote offices that function without support staff in five locations, and reducing the regional and branch offices, leading to a reduction in manpower expenses and an increase in revenue from product and service sales
- Transformed the sales organisation for an Indian pharmaceutical multinational by understanding the different processes the sales personnel undertake and the time spent on each, benchmarking the sales functions with competition, and redefining processes based on core functions and operational activities.
- We provide an in-depth analysis of the targeted industry segment and the capabilities required to serve them. Industry landscaping includes a detailed study of the industry structure (current market size, potential market size, and demand supply dynamics), study of the end-user application segments, competitors (current and potential, market share) marketing and promotion strategies, emerging market trends and much more
- UC landscaped the roadside assistance market in India for a European roadside assistance provider, highlighting major initiatives that were likely to improve mobility and assessing dynamics of the roadside assistance market in India
- We also conducted an industry landscape study of the photochromic lens market in India for an ophthalmic lens manufacturer, providing insights into channel economics, competitive dynamics and market wide unmet needs
- Conducted a comprehensive study of the market for Optical Fiber (OF) and Optical Fiber Cable (OFC) in India for an OF and OFC manufacturer, assessing key demand drivers such as laying of own national backbone, increased penetration of 3G, and network up gradation to offer triple play.
- With Indian companies always looking for new ways to grow, business diversification has become one of the key strategic decisions facing companies. Diversification into related or unrelated businesses comes with attendant risks. UC works closely with clients to identify opportunities for growth through diversification and highlight potential pitfalls
- Our deep understanding of the dynamics of various industries allows us to provide a thorough analysis of the potential opportunities, risks and their mitigation plans. We also provide growth forecasts for the attractiveness of the opportunity, investment required and potential returns on investment. Using these parameters, we arrive at a Go/ No-Go decision for any potential diversification opportunities
- UC assessed the feasibility of entering the electronic enclosure market in India for an Indian conglomerate, highlighting the market size and future potential, customer segments and competitive landscape, and created a financial model that included expected internal rate of return and payback period across three scenarios
- We identified new business opportunities for a leading business group by developing a five level framework (management constraints, future outlook, risk-return profile, attractiveness of industry sub-segments and ease of acquiring/ building capability, and portfolio decision)
- UC created an entry strategy into the SME market for a leading private sector bank by developing insights into market potential across various products and services, and creating a comprehensive set of strategic initiatives supported by an implementation plan.
- UC assists business units to make its highest contribution to the corporation. UC\'s business unit strategy service offerings include advising on different strategic directions, entry strategy and execution; help marketing the product to the right customer segment, growth strategy to capitalise on market opportunities by leveraging on existing capabilities, and strategy expertise with the Indian market knowledge to access to new markets
- We created individual product strategies for four products for one of the largest producers and distributors of fresh yeast, bakery ingredients, flavors and seasoning in India. We conducted extensive analysis to provide the client a clear view of the market size of key segments their products served and growth potential for each, and key success factors and competitive landscape across segments
- Defined a growth strategy in India for a US based global leader in non-athletic footwear, helping it capitalise on its existing brands and launch new brands in the Indian market. UC conducted in-depth primary research across five locations in India and developed an overall strategy including a business model, brand portfolio, customer segmentation, and a strategic road map for each brand and sales targets for the next 3 years
- Helped a reputed Middle East based player in the facade fabrication segment enter the Indian market by providing the client a deep understanding of market dynamics in India and a definition of the India entry strategy along with a five-year business plan
- Assisted a U.S. based financial major enter the Indian Insurance, Asset and Portfolio Management Space by providing the client a clearly articulated entry strategy with key targets, milestones and penetration timeframe, along with the profiles of key domestic and international players and competitive landscape.