The client was amongst the top three global players in inhalation anaesthesia. It acquired a set of ~5 controlled substance products (marketing authorizations, technical know-how, and trademarks) which were synergistic to its current product lines from a global top three pharma company. These products together were marketed in ~80 countries.
UC was tasked with the integration of these acquired products into the existing business. UC had to set up the Program Management Office to ensure that the business transfer was smooth with all functional teams geared up to continue the business, as soon as the products were transferred.
The project was divided into two phases:
- The first phase was to set up and run the PMO by UC with oversight and reporting with the client
- The second phase involved transferring the PMO architecture and the set process and frameworks to client team members.
We prepared a detailed business transfer plan to ensure that the marketing authorizations, customer contracts, regulatory approvals, trademarks were transferred to the client’s business. This involved a complex approach as listed below
- Created a program architecture with parallel work-streams (regulatory, technology transfer, supply, distribution, legal, artwork etc.) to accelerate visibility of benefits and ensure a smooth transition
- Further, formed a PMO jointly staffed by UC and nominated client team members to execute and monitor initiatives/projects within each work-stream
- Understood portfolio situation in each country/market from the local operating company management of the seller company
- Formulated detailed country-wise transfer plans and timelines after a detailed understanding of the business and the process
- Set up review mechanism and escalation matrix for the teams to abide by timelines.
Customer, Sales and Distribution Strategy for key country markets were articulated. Transfer of the business for key country markets to our client was initiated paving the way for early recognition of revenues from the acquired portfolio. Robust process and dashboards to monitor the business performance of the acquired portfolio in each country market were institutionalised.