The client, a global paint manufacturer, had been losing market share for a previous couple of years, to one of its competitors. The client wanted to carry out competitive intelligence to develop a flanking strategy so as to regain that market share. The focus was to look at the potential weaknesses of the competitor that could be exploited.
To carry out the competitive intelligence, UC Strategy adopted the following approach:
- Understood the strategic drivers of the industry
- Analysed the key success factors in the industry and their relevance going forward
- Analysed the key strengths of the competitor and their sustainability in the future
- Analysed the strategic, tactical and operational intent of the competitor to look for gaps in intended vision and execution
- Designed a framework to analyse the weaknesses based on the current and future capabilities
- Analysed the stakeholder’s feedback and its effects on the competitor’s strength and weaknesses going forward
The client received a detailed understanding of the current and probable weaknesses of the competitor.