The client was an Industrial Products manufacturer, a leading player in premium shirtings’ manufactured custom designed fabrics for global and domestic brands. However, the manufacturing operations were unable to cope with the high volume of DLS (Desk Loom Sample) requirements. There were significant delays in deliveries of DLS/ bulk orders due to the ineffective capacity utilisation and inadequate planning systems. Lack of adherence to manufacturing standard operating procedures (SOP’s) also led to quality issues. Thus, the client turned to UC Strategy to improve its operations and processes to sustain the growth of the company.
To improve the operations and processes of the company, UC Strategy adopted the following approach:
- Defined and implemented SOPs and an MS Excel based tracking/ management information system (MIS) tool for both the marketing department at the head office and the design studio at the factory
- Identified bottlenecks and implemented improvement initiatives for lead time reduction in DLS preparation, which led to a 40 percent reduction in lead time
- Analysed, defined and implemented a SOP adherence audit process across various production departments
- Developed a MS Excel based tool to optimise dyeing vessel capacity utilization, reducing the lead-time by 7 to 10 days and improving throughput by 10 percent
- Developed a production planning and monitoring tool to enable effective planning, scheduling and tracking of order
- Initiated daily production planning meetings to improve coordination and effectiveness of planning.
The client benefited with an improvement in its operations with regards to the capacity utilisation, planning and quality issues of the system.