The client, a polyester films manufacturing company had a Consumer Products division that was responsible for the domestic market. Historically it had a virtual monopoly in the market. Over the last few years, imports of cheap films from Taiwan and China as well branded films by MNC players had increased the competition in the market, leading to erosion of market share.
UC Strategy gained a complete understanding from the client. End consumer awareness (about brands & functionality) and involvement was low in the auto segment, leading to poor brand recall, duplication and loss of market share. While, in the window segment, poor awareness and erroneous perception about performance combined with inadequate product awareness of end consumers led to poor growth of the market.
To design the marketing strategy, UC Strategy adopted the following approach:
- Conducted primary research with over 250 respondents. Interviewed a cross-section of potential and current channel partners, competitors, customers and influencers in the auto and window segment to understand the dynamics of industry and their preferences
- Evaluated the product profile, customer profile and competitor strength for the auto and window films segments
- Auto segment
- Defined product brand structure and initiatives to improve brand image
- Identified products to be discontinued and segments for new product introduction
- Defined recommendations on product pricing
- Identified dealer programs and detailed initiatives for the same
- Defined a detailed promotional plan, including media mix
- Defined distribution structure and evaluated option for exclusive showrooms
- Window segment
- Defined a customer segmentation structure
- Evaluated and identified target customer segments
- Defined brand positioning for various customer segments
- Identified and evaluated new categories of channel partners based on operational and strategic parameters and defined initiatives to ally with them
- Defined channel, product and customer segment matrix
- Defined margin structure for various channels
- Analysed the threat of substitutes and level of competition
- Defined a detailed promotion plan, including media mix
- Designed a organisation structure based on needs of various market segments and channels
- Defined a detailed implementation plan
The client received a detailed market understanding on customer segment needs and a well-defined marketing plan to target each segment.