The client was the fourth largest Container Terminal Operator in the world. The client had both container and general cargo operations in one of its container terminals in South East Asia. The focus of the study was to review, re-design and standardize processes and organization structure for Commercial, Finance & Accounts, Human Resource & Administrations and Procurement functions at their container terminal in the lines of its global standards.
UC Strategy adopted the following approach to review and re-design process and organization structure at the container terminal.
- Gained insights into business strategies, growth potential and competition for the container terminal
- Mapped the processes for Commercial, Finance and Accounts, HR & Admin and Procurement functions to APQC framework
- Identified best practices across industry and container terminals and mapped them to the processes
- Further analysed Accounts Payable and Receivables, Purchasing data, PO to PR conversion time, container volume movement etc. to identify process gaps and process improvement opportunities
- Reviewed the existing Standard Operating Procedures and systems functionality to identify and prioritize process gaps
- Validated the best practices for their relevance and current adoption, process gap findings with the process owners and process champions
- Defined and validated the process recommendations themes and process gaps severity
- Prepared standardized To-Be processes and process metrics across functions considering process improvements and best practices
- Redesigned the organization structure based on six key organization lenses: Protecting specialist culture, Clear decision ownerships, Accountability across levels, Operational & communication efficiency, Execution of functional and organizational priorities and Checks and controls
- Defined the staffing levels and KPIs for each level across the functions
- Defined the competency levels for each position and conducted competency assessment for key positions
- Defined a detailed implementation plan and key success factors for successful rollout of the plan
The client received a detailed blueprint for rolling out the redesigned process/ SOPs, new organization structure and competency assessment outcome.