The client was a professional services firm offering a range of Tax, Risk and M&A advisory service for domestic and global businesses of all sizes. The client requested UC STRATEGY to conduct a joint study for its Japanese client titled ‘Landscaping Business Opportunities in Railways Transportation in India’ in December 2015 and to conduct a high-level assessment of potential opportunities in Indian railways.
To conduct this engagement, UC Strategy adopted the following approach:
- Desktop research from various sources to access relevant publicly available information about:
- Ticketing services/technologies
- Applicable statutes / provisions / regulations / circulars, etc.
- In-depth discussions with various stakeholders in metro ticketing services such as metro operators, banks issuing co-branded cards, system suppliers, regulatory bodies (e.g. RBI), etc.
- Addressed the following strategic questions w.r.t ticketing opportunities in Indian Metro railways
- What is the status of smart card based ticketing in Indian Metro railways?
- How is smartcard ticketing expected to evolve in future?
- What is the expected scenario for interoperability and how will it impact the current system?
- Can client (Japanese company) explore being an ‘outsourced ticketing service provider’ for Metro railways?
- Which business models can be explored by the client for outsourced ticketing services?
- Which other opportunities exist in India w.r.t ticketing in Metro railways?
We proposed usage of smart card based ticketing in Indian Metro railways and also discovered opportunities for client in smart card based ticketing in Indian Metro railways and along with few key regulatory dynamics