The client, a business consulting firm, required a thorough study on the Indian mutual funds industry. The objective was to evaluate possible alliance options that could be pursued by a foreign player to enter into the Indian asset management industry.
To study the asset management industry, UC Strategy adopted the following approach:
- Conducted extensive secondary research on the Indian mutual fund market and estimated the market size and key trends in the industry
- Conducted thorough research on the international trends to understand its impact on the Indian market
- Based on the secondary research, profiles of 33 asset management companies were prepared and presented
- Performance of various mutual fund schemes were analysed and the best performing asset management companies were highlighted
- Conducted primary research with the asset management companies to validate findings from the secondary research exercise conducted
- Conducted study on SEBI statutory requirements and RBI guidelines for setting up an asset management company and for foreign investments
- Identified possible routes of alliance that could be pursued by a new entrant and assigned ratings to each option to arrive at the best possible alliance route
- Identified the right timing for any foreign player to enter into the Indian asset management industry
The client received a detailed report on the Indian mutual fund industry along with profiles of the top asset management companies.