The client, an industrial chemicals manufacturing company had an internal productivity improvement team operating at two manufacturing plants that was facing the issues like absence of a project management framework, no system to report the progress of projects, no prior plan given to departments before different stages of report and no inadequate tracking for benefit realisation leading to duplication of work and sub-optimal usage of time.
The projects undertaken by the internal productivity improvement team were getting delayed at different stages.The top management wanted to immediately arrest the situation by defining the standards for project management and also assist in the implementation to achieve the desired results.
To prepare a review for improving manufacturing productivity, UC Strategy adopted the following approach:
- Initiated the engagement with identification of key issues resulting in lack of standardisation and delays on the project. The team recommended and designed the following to address the key issues faced by the client:
- 1) Defined the project management framework including the documentation standards for different projects2) Defined standard MS PROJECT based template to support project management and monitoring
3) Developed stage-gate reviews from ideation to handholding stages to improve co-ordination and expedite decision making
4) Defined templates for estimation of benefits
- Short listed live projects at different stages and initiated implementation along with client’s project team
- The following were also implemented to further minimise delays1) Defined roles of the team and other departments at different stages of the project2) Defined and implemented approval/ authorisation matrix
3) Initiated weekly delay review meetings
4) Introduced cross-functional teams to support actions requiring multiple decision making.
Based on UC’s recommendations, the client was able to realise an estimated time compression of around 30% across different projects in future.